The lead guitarist for my favorite band, Brian Venable of Lucero, set the goal of reading a book a week in 2016. He made it by November.
I’m joining that cause. I’ve needed motivation to get my life back together, well, back in the right direction. This is one of those steps.
Started this week, making lists of things to accomplish each day. I went big, starting with 10 each day. So far, the first day I got 9 of 10. Today, as of 2:24 p.m., I’m at 3 of 10. We shall see where this leads. Of course, I added today “Do not go to Facebook.” That will be every day in December. I will still post photos of my son, and link to stuff. I just won’t go and read anything by anyone. May lead to deleting it, may not. I did cut the cable cord in 2009 or so and haven’t regretted that decision.
I will come back to this post (maybe) and update it. I plan to give a short review of each one as well.
Update on June 17 … I’m extremely saddened by my lack of reading. It sickens me that I’m on 9, seven months in.
- “Clearing the Bases” by Mike Schmidt (Finished Dec. 8, 2016)
- “The Professional” by W.C. Heinz (Finished Dec.22, 2016)
- “The Way It Is” by Curt Flood (Finished Dec. 29, 2016)
- “Inside Seka: The Platinum Princess if Porn” by Seka with/Kerry Zulus (Finished Jan. 7, 2017)
- “Showdown: JFK and the Integration of the Washington Redskins” by Thomas G. Smith (Finished Jan. 19, 2017)
- “The Stranger” by Albert Camus (Finished Feb. 15, 2017)
- “The 13 Clocks” by James Thurber (Finished March 31, 2017)
- “100 Things Virginia Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die” by Brian Leung (Finished April 30, 2017)
- “The Voyeur’s Motel” by Gay Talese (Finished June 16, 2017)
- “Sucker Punch” by Jack Cashill (Finished September 27, 2017)